Silver stick nitrate 75% is used for cautery, which is a process of burning the skin to stop bleeding or prevent infection of a wound. It is also used to remove granulation tissue (pink, lumpy tissue over a healing wound) or warts on the skin. The chemical reaction of the Silver stick nitrate 75% permanently destroys the target tissue and the sticks can only be used once.
Also, Silver stick nitrate 75% can be used for anterior epistaxis (nosebleed), the stick is applied to the blood vessel or mucous membrane in the nostril in emergency medicine to control nosebleeds. In addition, it can be applied to post-biopsy cervical incisions or cervical ectropion, to treat granulation tissue in wounds and stoma sites, in painful aphthous stomatitis:
Silver stick nitrate 75% can be applied to chronic wounds to aid healing, as it can renew the healing process with its astringent and caustic action. The purpose of using potassium nitrate is to moderate the effect of silver nitrate. Each stick contains 75% w/w silver nitrate as the active ingredient and 25% w/w potassium nitrate. Available in a pack of 10 pieces.
- Silver nitrate 75% w/w
- Potassium nitrate 25% w/w
- Septic action
- Caustic action
- 10 pieces/pack
- Clean the area before use
- Wet the tip of the stick (for 1-2 sec under running water)
- If there is moisture in the area there is no need to wet the stick
- The aim is to transport the water of the limb, rich in silver nitrate, to the area to be treated
- When soaked in water the tip will turn white or light gray and then it is ready to use
- You should not apply pressure or rub the area with the stick, instead, it is dabbed several times with the stick
- This area will discolor and pull away from the surrounding tissue after a few days
- Repeat every 2-3 days until desired results are achieved